Friday, September 25, 2009

Knocking me on my ass. More money out of my wallet.


My engine is making Loud noises at normal operating temperatures only. It's time for me to get some new lifters. I read that if a lifter develops a loud noise when engine is at normal operating temperature, but is quiet when engine is below normal temperature, it indicates an excessively fast leak down rate or scored lifter plunger, and it is then recommended to recondition or replace lifters.

Well folks this is what I've got to do this winter. While the bike will be disassembled, since I don't have adjustable pushrods, I will be adding some S&S adjustables and covers as well. And well you know the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone is connected to the shin bone.

They say when you change your cams, you have to change the lifters. It doesn't necessarily hold true vise versa, but isn't a bad idea. Besides, if you were ever going to do the cams, now is the time, since I'm already going to be in there adding Jim's tappits right? The adjustables will allow me to do this kind of thing in the future without having to take the top end apart. Hopefully, I won't need to get back in there after this one for quite some time, but you never know. Now is the time to add an ounce of prevention incase something like this happens again down the road. I guess I look at it as insurance. If I never need it great. If I do, great. Additionally, by adding these S&S parts & Jim's lifters (tappits), I'll not only be able to get rid of the damn knock, I'll gain a bit of performance as well. I guess this means I need to custom paint something for someone quick to help support my habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment